The Education (Social Welfare and Social Education) Department is the nodal department for the implementation of schemes and welfare measures for various vulnerable persons of the society like Old Aged, widow, children, physically challenged, deserted, destitute children and women etc.
The department has been implementing the following schemes for the welfare of the above-mentioned section of people in the state.
Umbrella Integrated Child Development Services:
- Anganwadi Services Scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)
- National Creche Scheme
- Poshan Abhiyan (NNM)
- Scheme for Adolescent Girls (SAG)
- Child Protection Scheme
1, 2, 4 & 5 are implemented at AWC level. All are CASP, sharing pattern 90:10.
1. Anganwadi Services Scheme :
6 (six) Services:-
- Early Childhood Education (pre-primary)
- Supplementary Nutrition
- Health and Nutrition Education
- Health check up
Administrative Structure and Infrastructure:
District - 8, ICDS Projects -56 (Rural -24, Urban -15, Tribal -17), ICDS Sector – 436, AWCs - 9911 (Rural -5822, Urban -931, Tribal – 3158)
- Children (6 months to 6 years) : 3,44,859
- Mothers (Pregnant and Nursing Mothers) : 71,074
- Regular attendance of Anganwadi Workers.
- Full coverage of SNP, Immunization and quality pre-school education.
- Maintenance of Centers, drinking water and sanitation facilities.
- Accurate reporting of height and weight data of children.
2. Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandan Yojana (PMMVY) :
- New Scheme launched in May, 2017
- For providing conditional cash transfer of Rs.6000 (Rs. 1000 from “Janani Suraksha Yojana” ) in three installments through PFMS. Aadhar based payment.
- For all women, except Govt. servants, above 19 years for 1st Child.
- Targeted Beneficiaries about 16610. Date entered 5226. Funds disbursed 3781.
3. National Creche Scheme :
- Taken over from GoI since 1st January, 2017.
- Run by NGOs/VOs.
- Presently 201 crèches are functional.
- Funds provided for manpower and supplementary nutrition in the centers.
- Funds for 3rd and 4th Quarter for 2017-18 and current year pending with GoI. Being pursued.
4. National Nutrition Mission – PoshanAbhiyaan:
- Launched in March, 2018 under National-e-Governance Programme.
- Aims at prevention of stunting, low birth weight and anemia amongst children. Also reduction of anemia amongst adolescent girls and women.
- Dhalai:- stunting- 32.5%, wasting-23.3% , anemia- 50.4%
- Essentially for capturing data by AWCs. Interventions through convergence of relevant schemes.
- Two Districts- Dhalai and West Tripura chosen.
- Steps taken for implementation like engagement of manpower and procurement of devices.
5. Scheme for Adolescent Girls:
- Scheme revised in March,2018. Now extended to all 8 districts.
- For providing supplementary nutrition and life skills to 11-14 years age adolescent girls, in all districts.
6. Child Protection Scheme :
District – 8, Child Welfare Committee – 8, Juvenile Justice Board – 8, Children Homes – 30 (12 Govt., 18 NGOs), Specialized Adoption Agency (SAA) - 9 (6 Govt., 3 NGOs)
- Children in need of care & protection
- Children in conflict with law, as defined in Juvenile Justice Act, 2015
No. of children in the Homes (including Observation Home and Special Home) as on date – Govt. - 392, NGOs -403 – Total -795.
No. of children in SAA – Govt. -28, NGOs-24 – Total -52
- 19 children adopted during 2017-18 till Jan’2018.
- 19 children from homes provided rehabilitation grant of Rs.50,000/-.
- Sponsorship & foster care grants @ Rs.2000/- per month sanctioned for 506 & 36 children, respectively.
- Juvenile Justice fund –Rs.1,17,30,044/- provided to 59 children for treatment and education.
- 3 counseling programmes organized for 25 street children (19 are rehabilitated in Children Homes), last year.
Women Empowerment Schemes :
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
- One Stop Center(OSC)
- Women Help Line (WHL)
- Swadhar Greh Scheme (SGS)
- Skill Development (State Plan)
- Mahila Shakti Kendra (MSK)
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
- Scheme aims to improve the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB).
- Essentially convergence of Social, education and health Deptt. Schemes.
- Ensure proper implementation of Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques Act, 1994 Act.
- Implemented in 2 districts viz. Gomati and South (Erstwhile South District). SRB improved from 951 to 968.
- GoI has decided to extend to all districts recently. Revised guidelines are yet to be received.
One Stop Center (OSC) and Women Help Line (WHL)
- OSC made functional last year in the Tripura Commission for Women office. Integrated solution for all women related issues including victims. New building is under construction at Narsingarh.
- WHL already functional at Police HQ. However, this needs to be migrated to universal no. 181. RFP is under preparation.
Swadhar Greh and Skill Development for women
- 4 Homes being run by NGOs in the State.
- Scheme for Women victims and those in difficult circumstance.
- Skill Development for Women is being undertaken under State Plan through the State Skill Mission. An amount of Rs. 30 lakhs on average is available under State Plan
Mahila Shakti Kendra
- New Scheme for convergent support services for empowering rural women with opportunities for skill development, employment, digital literacy, health and nutrition.
- District Level Centre for Women in 3 Districts viz. Dhalai, South and West.
- 200 Student Volunteers (NSS/NCC) in Dhalai District (aspirational district) in all Blocks.
- Funds released by GoI. Steps have been taken for engagement of manpower and implementation of the Scheme.
Programmes for Persons with Disabilities
- 4 District Disability Rehabilitation Centers (DDRC) in West, Gomati, Dhalai and Unakoti. Proposal for 4 more DDRCs in rest district sent to GoI.
- Total no. of Disability certificates issued in the State is 78,286.
- During 2017-18, 2220 beneficiaries were provided aids and appliances by DDRCs & ALIMCO.
- An onetime marriage grant @ Rs. 50,000/- is provided to the spouse who marry a person having 40% and above disability. 6 nos. couples have applied for such grant during the year 2017-18
- Composite Regional Centre (CRC) of National Institute for Locomotor Disabilities set up.
- Training of JAWS software has been provided for the Blind Govt. Employees.
- Two Braille Printing Press have already been set up in DDRC West &Birchandra State Central Library at Agartala. A new Braille Printing Press at DDRC, Unakoti, Kailasahar, approved by GoI.
- As per GoI guidelines UDID cards are being issued since last year.
- Skill Development Programme taken up for about 200 beneficiaries in the current year.
Accessible India Campaign:-
- 14 building accessibility audit conducted at Agartala. Estimates for retrofitting being prepared by PWD.
- DIT has requested to make all Govt. Website accessible.
- Transport Deptt. requested for making public transport fully accessible.
- Govt. runs an old age home at Narsingarh.
- Pensioners Awas for retired Govt. servant made functional.
- NGOs are also running 4 old age homes. These are being supported by GoI schemes.
- 33 schemes, including 3 Central pension schemes under “National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP)” viz.
- National Old Age Pension Scheme (NOAPS),
- National Widow Pension Scheme (NWPS), and
- National Disability Pension Scheme (NDPS).
- Family income of less than Rs. 1.00 lakhs per annum, and
- No one in the family should be a Government Servant.
- NSAP- BPL category, as per Govt. of India norms.
- State Social Pension (i.e. 30 Schemes), except for ‘Incentive to Girl Child’ the criteria are :-
- NSAP- Rs. 200 (NOAP -60-79 years), Rs.300 (NWPS, NWDPS) &Rs. 500 (NOAP- 80 and above).
- State schemes – majority Rs. 700, however for a few schemes, it varies from Rs. 500 (Incentive to Girl Child) to Rs. 1100.
The present number of beneficiaries:-
NSAP (3 Schemes):- 1,59,774
State Schemes (30 Schemes):- 2,62,505
Initiatives Already Taken:
- Monthly Payment
- Centralized Sanction of New Cases
- Monthly publication of Beneficiary List in Public Domain.
- Doorstep Payment to infirm beneficiaries
- Tripura Commission for Protection of the Child Rights (TCPCR)
- Tripura Commission for Women (TCW)
- Tripura Social Welfare Board (TSWB)
Nodal Department for Acts :
- The Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act,2015
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016
- The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013
- Maintenance of Senior Citizens and Welfare of Parents Act, 2007
- The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005
- The Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006